Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Cell Phone Usage in the Classroom



I found it difficult to find many teachers who actively use cell phones for classroom learning in my building. I think most teachers don't see a huge value in utilizing this technology and the benefits are not worth their time commitment. I wonder if part of this is their comfort level with this emerging teaching tool...

I had the opportunity to interview Mr. Jacob Settle for this project.  Jake is an eleven-year veteran Technology and Engineering Education teacher at my high school.  He teachers Digital Photography as well as Drafting and Design classes.  I started my informal interview by asking Jake how he incorporates cell phones into his class.  He allows students to use them for notes, calculations and taking pictures.  He is not opposed to adding additional tasks for cell phones but felt it was difficult to find meaningful purposes within his curriculum.   Jake also felt that the screen size of most cell phones was a hindrance for projects in his classes.  I have also found this to be true.  I think the biggest thing I took from my interview with Jake is his level of frustration not having any solid ideas for using cell phones in class.  I believe many teachers face this same barrier due to the newness of the technology.  It would be great to find course specific examples to use many of the tech gadgets that are emerging in our world.

Our school district fully supports using technology integration in the classroom but provides very little in terms of in-service time or suggestions.  I have a feeling this is going to change over the next several years as our school board has just approved a one-to-one initiative.  Beginning with our 4th grade students and continuing over the next 4 years, every student in our district will be given an Ipad to use while in our district.  Teachers have been promised plenty of in-service time for preparing for this move.  I guess time will tell.  I remain cautiously optimistic that the decision to provide Ipads will have a statistical impact on student learning.   

No comments :

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License .